Depression is characterised by overwhelming feelings of sadness or hopelessness. It can affect day to day functioning to varying degrees. Depression manifests itself in many different ways. Some of the signs of depression may include:
- Lack of motivation
- Inability to engage in normal activities
- Less ability to think and concentrate
- Loss of pleasure and enjoyment
- Withdrawal and lack of desire to interact with others
- Depressed mood or irritability
- Changes in appetite (either increased or decreased)
- Low energy levels or fatigue
- Feeling worthless or helpless
- Sleep disturbances
- Thoughts of suicide
- Increased drug or alcohol usage
Depression does not need to be suffered alone. Working with a therapist can alleviate these symptoms and allow life to be enjoyable again.
All humans experience anxiety from time to time. However, it becomes problematic when it is persistent and interferes with one’s daily life, physical health and mental wellbeing. Symptoms include:
- Prolonged or persistent feelings of fear, worry and anxiety
- Physical symptoms including heart palpitations, chest pain, shakiness, nausea
- Panic attacks
- Changes in appetite
- Sleep disturbances
- Increased drug or alcohol use
- Withdrawal or avoidant behaviour
- Constant monitoring for (perceived or potential) dangers or threats
- Concentration and memory difficulties
Like depression, anxiety can also be effectively treated by therapy.
At the Heath Group Practice, our clinicians are trained in a range of treatment methods to help with anxiety and/or depression. Some treatment methods include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Mindfulness.
If you are suffering from some or all of these symptoms, the psychologists and therapists at our Sydney based practice can help you to learn how to properly understand and manage your condition. Contact us if you would like to have a conversation with one of our experienced team or to schedule an appointment.
We are located in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs, near Edgecliff Station.
Parking is available at the Edgecliff Centre, on Darling Point Road and in other nearby streets.
Phone: (02) 9328 5551
Address: 100 New South Head Road, Edgecliff NSW 2027