Depression is characterised by overwhelming feelings of sadness or hopelessness. It can affect day to day functioning to varying degrees. Depression manifests itself in many different ways. Some of the signs of depression may include:
- Lack of motivation
- Inability to engage in normal activities
- Less ability to think and concentrate
- Loss of pleasure and enjoyment
- Withdrawal and lack of desire to interact with others
- Depressed mood or irritability
- Changes in appetite (either increased or decreased)
- Low energy levels or fatigue
- Feeling worthless or helpless
- Sleep disturbances
- Thoughts of suicide
- Increased drug or alcohol usage
Narrative Therapy is a form of psychotherapy that can help people struggling with depression separate the person from the problem. Together the client and therapist co-author a new narrative based on the client’s past experiences, and their values, knowledge and skills. This treatment method is based on the assumption that narratives/stories shape a person’s identity.
If you or a loved one has depression please call ujs on (02) 93285551 or fill out our contact form.